Upgrading Switcher

I am still working on Switcher in order to implement the things that I wanted to add but because of the jam time constraints I couldn’t.

One of the good things of a jam is that you are forced to take shortcuts in order to make the most of the game with the least time investment. For example in Switcher I focused all my effort in the main running scene. Once that was ready I was really tired, so I created a basic logo and black screen with a start button and instructions. It looked like crap…

I was running out of time but I didn’t felt good delivering that main screen, but there was not enough time to get creative and design more stuff. Then it suddenly hit me! Use the main running scene to decorate the start menu. Some code copy/paste Frankenstein style and it was alive! A decent start screen. For the ending screen I did the same, but instead I wanted to give the player a relaxed screen since he must be tired from all the running. I used the same code for scrolling background but decreased the speed. The result was just what I was looking for.

Another shortcut I had to use was for the enemies, one single animation with multiple “skins” and did the trick to have a less monotonous mob.

Finally, for the background I had a two color background with some marks to give the feel of movement and that was it.

Now with more time and no more pressure than my daily job I am slowly building the components that I wish I had time to create. Post-compo switcher will feature a better background, maybe some new fonts and… music!

Stay tuned for the updated version, the goal is to have it ready before LD29 judging ends.